As a survivor of sexual violence, you (2)

After experiencing a sexual assault, many victims feel overwhelmed.  There is no right way or wrong way to survive a sexual assault.  Every individual needs to do what is best for themselves, their safety, and their healing process.  Here are some options you have.  You can choose to do all of them, none of them, or only what feels right to you.  There are also way more options than we could ever list.  We trust that you will choose the route that is right for you.

Call and talk with an advocate.

Our 24-hour hotline is always open and available.  Talk with someone confidentially anytime, day or night.  We use an answering service, so you will be asked to hold for a minute or two while they connect you with the on call advocate.  (316) 263-3002.

Make a police report. 

You can simply call 911 to make a report.  Making a report can be beneficial in a number of ways.  Making a police report can help with:

  • The offender being held accountable for the crime they committed.
  • Getting reimbursed for unexpected financial costs associated with the sexual assault – through the Crime Victims Compensation fund.
  • Feeling like you are taking back control of your situation.


If you would like someone to accompany you to make a police report, our advocates are available.  Oftentimes friends or family may not be able to sit in on police interviews with a victim because they may be additional witnesses in the case.  That being said, survivors of sexual violence have the right to have an advocate with them through the entire criminal justice process.  We can sit in on interviews with you so you do not have to do this alone.   If you would like to talk with an advocate about going through the reporting process with you, please call (316) 263-0185 and ask to speak with an advocate about reporting.


Go to the hospital for a sexual assault forensic exam.

The goal of a sexual assault forensic exam is to make sure you are healthy and safe and that your healthcare needs are met.  A secondary goal is to collect forensic evidence for a criminal case.  If you are over the age of 18 and a gun or other weapon was not used in the crime, you can request a forensic exam without making a police report.  You simply have to check in at the ER (at either Wesley Medical Center or Via Christi St. Joe) and request an anonymous forensic exam by a sexual assault nurse examiner.

Both Via Christi St. Joe and Wesley provide acute exams after a sexual assault has happened.  An acute exam can be conducted within 96 hours of an incident.  .



Talk with your support system.

Knowing who to talk to about experiencing sexual assault can be a tricky thing.  Friends and family often provide some of our best support.  Please know that no matter who you choose to tell, you deserve to be believed.  You deserve to be supported.

Talk with a professional you trust. 

Many survivors are not sure they want to tell their close friends and family and instead would rather talk things through with a therapist.  Again, you always know what is best for you and your healing process.  WASAC does provide 12 sessions of free and confidential therapy for survivors of sexual violence.  If you would like to talk to one of our therapist, please call (316) 263-0185 to schedule an appointment.

You may know another professional that you feel comfortable with.  Always know, you deserve to be believed.  You deserve to be supported.

If you are a college student, you can make a report to the campus or university.

Many colleges and universities have a way to report a sexual assault to the campus administration.  This is not the same thing as making a report to law enforcement.  Some survivors may want to do this if they are on campus with their perpetrator (i.e. live in the same residence hall or attend classes with the perpetrator).  If you notify university officials you may be able to navigate your education in a way that feels safe for you.

If you are a student at Wichita State University, here is a website with some of your options.

If you are a student at Newman University, here is a website with some of your options.

If you are a student at Friends University, here is a website with some of your options.

If you are a student at Wichita Area Technical College, here is a website with some of your options.